O'Briens Tower - Cliffs of Moher

O'Briens Tower, Cliffs of Moher, County Clare

Built in 1835 by Cornelius O’Brien a descendant of the Great High King Brian Boru (Bryan Boru), as an observation point for tourists who even back at that time, visited the Cliffs of Moher. The grand tower today stands proudly overlooking the Cliffs and the Atlantic Ocean.

A man ahead of his time, Cornelius believed that the growth in tourism would be of advantage to the local economy and help bring the people out of poverty. He as a member of the parliament for County Clare built a fence of flag stones, which were adapted as building material as well as floor covering. The imprint of fossilized eels compacted over thousands of years, bears the extraordinary feature on the flagstones today. Corneilius died in 1857 and his remains were buried in the O’Brien Vault at the graveyard next to St. Brigid’s Well.

O’Briens Tower is located at the highest point on the Cliffs of Moher in County Clare, near the villages of Liscannor and Doolin. The view from the Tower on a clear day can extend as far to the Mountains of Kerry and Loop Head at the southern tip of Clare. On a clear day to the north and west, the Twelve Pins in Connemara, Galway Bay and the Aran Islands can be seen.

Today, the famous site has plenty of parking and an award winning eco-friendly visitor centre which encompasses a coffee shop and a craftworker street of shops.